[kictanet] Fw: [bestbits] IGF2016: Technological solutions for countering gender based harrasment

WANGARI KABIRU wangarikabiru at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 23:54:02 EAT 2016

Pray you are well.
Your ideas are welcome to engage Sadaf Khan (copied) and team from the Kenyan perspective. How might the online be a safer, equitable space for women?
Women online (and child safety) have formed key discussions in the overall Internet Governance discussions.

“online abuse and gender based violence can, among other things, limit women’s ability to take advantage of the opportunities that ICTs provide for the full realisation of women's human rights, act as a barrier to access that can exacerbate the gender digital gap, often violate women’s human rights, and reaffirm and reproduce gender stereotypes”. Thus, countering online abuse and gender-based violence is essential for both inclusivity and sustainability.
With the Kenyan elections 2017 around the corner, women aspirants online is one area where we experience the lifting of physical abuse into the online space with no recourse (or just brushed off).
I recall Fadzai Madzingira of Facebook mentions that this is an area of FB focus. Fadzai may also kindly add to the discussion shedding light on what we expect to see (or is happening) specifically for "protection" of women aspirants online (and female voters) or safeguarding their online rights and equity or good practices elsewhere. With thanks!

Be blessed.
Regards/Wangari ---
Pray God Bless. 2013Wangari circa - "Being of the Light, We are Restored Through Faith in Mind, Body and Spirit; We Manifest The Kingdom of God on Earth".