[kictanet] ICT Authority Proposal to act on Quacks proper and within Legal Mandate

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Fri Dec 2 18:23:21 EAT 2016

When I read the report on what Mugo said (Nation Page 23), it is clear
he is not talking about regulating "ICT Practitioners". His concern
appears to be bogus service providers  especially in the counties. It
is like the counties do not have the capacity and guidelines to
evaluate the service providers. I think it's ok for the ICT Authority
to proceed to set standards to be met by those bidding for work in the
public service.

ICT is a very wide field. It is not possible to regulate it in-toto.
Some specific aspects can be regulated because they impact on pubic
safety and other concerns (e.g. privacy, cyber-crime, etc.). There is
also no such thing as an "ICT Profession". ICT is composed of various
professions like Engineering (Prof. Kulubi, Shem Ochuodho, etc),
programming (Dorcas Muthoni, etc) and many others. Health Records and
Information Management is a sub-section of ICT that requires regulation,
since, inter alia,  health records are confidential. I am surprised that
from the same paper no-one has picked up the public notice (page 62) on
the "Health Records and Information Managers Act 2016" which is now
operational.

So for me, don't try and regulate "ICT practitioners". Pick on something
specific (bounded) which has a negative impact on the public if it is
not regulated.

W.