[kictanet] Taifa Laptop

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:13:50 EAT 2016

I think if people thought Mobius was ugly then it would not have sold out
its units recently.

What is good and what makes sense will eventually sell itself off. And
Mobius did not need to do aggressive marketing. It just sold itself off.

Perhaps Mobius should be a case study for Taifa folks.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Job Muriuki via kictanet <

> I wouldn't mind the government doing the same for locally manufactured
> products. The laptop might not be the best but it's a step in the right
> direction. Our Kenyan economy needs to be jump started and if making us
> support projects is the way to ensure we created a sustainable employment I
> don't mind.
> Look at Mobius, we are all focusing on how ugly the car looks forgetting
> the employment opportunities it stands to create.
>
> On Aug 26, 2016 10:30 AM, "waudo siganga via kictanet" <
>
>> If the JKUAT people want to promote and grow their laptop assembly
>> business by requiring the students to buy the Taifa laptops they should
>> say so upfront rather than talking of "special software" as the reason.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Joseph Wayodi via kictanet wrote:

>> they are

>> > According to the memo, the laptop should run the Windows 8 operating
>> > system, and Office Professional. Microsoft for the win! :)

>> ignet%40mailcan.com
>> >
>> > The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
>> > for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>> > regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
>> > sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> > development.
>> >
>> > KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
>> > online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>> > bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect
>> > privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

>> ailman/options/kictanet/muriukin%40gmail.com

> ailman/options/kictanet/ultimateprogramer%40gmail.com

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Curator - Global Shapers Mombasa Hub
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer