[kictanet] Parliamentary Committee on Sports Betting

Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu chemukoechk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:22:14 EAT 2016

The betting fraternity has benefited heavily from the fairly lax regulatory
regime and have failed to make considerations on handling the effects that
come as a result of the business,

They have only one option and that is to figure out how they will guide the
discussion on how they will be regulated.

A few months ago they had the option of self regulating, but now the
legislators have taken the lead.

They may soon find themselves in the same boat as the ICT fraternity is in
today, trying to fire hose a faulty proposed regulation I.e the ICT
practitioners bill.

It is agreed that there is a need to tame the gambling beast but it may be
important to protect the innovations that have made their "success"
possible. It may help the country if proposed regulation would ensure that
the revenues earned from the industry are used for greater public good than
is currently being felt, this may be the the only silver lining out of this
cloud.

Regards,

Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu

On 5 Aug 2016 16:00, "James Mbugua via kictanet" <