[kictanet] Cyber Security and Data Protection (Senate) Bill Viz Computer and Cyber Crimes Bill (Parliament) - Need for Harmonization

Francis Monyango monyango93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:53:19 EAT 2016

Hello everyone,

Part II of the C.Security and Protection Bill will set up the National
Cyber Security Threat Response Unit which O think should be the designate
unit to execute functions and procedures in Part III of the Computer &
Cybercrimes Bill 2016. No one wants random police checking in their
premises to confiscate computers or phones in the name of section 22.

The C.Security and Protection Bill does not have extraterritorial
jurisdiction provisions which would enable extradition. We all know the
nature of cyber crimes and the recent arrest of Kick Ass Torrents owner
Artem Vaulin is a testimony of how effective extraterritorial jurisdiction
can be.
The C.Security and Protection Bill does not also have provisions on online
hate which is a big problem in Kenya. The issue of forfeiture of proceeds
and profits of cybercrimes is not also in the bill. All these were provided
for in the Computer and Cybercrimes Bill 2016.

The right to privacy, is 'under threat' in section 9. The drafters of this
law have tried to mitigate the extent of breach in Section 10 and 11 where
they give limitations to the information sharing between entities. However,
I still wonder why it is taking forever for the Data Protection Bill to
made law.

Section 22 outlaws phishing while section 24 criminalises identity theft
which has become rampant in this age of Facebook and Instagram. Section 25
illegalises pornography. In the Computer and Cybercrimes Bill, only child
pornography was expressly outlawed. Cases of children being sexually
exploited by persons they met online are on the rise and section 26 outlaws
it.

Sharing of intimate photos of another person will also be a crime. The
other thing that this bill covers is cyber squatting which we had discussed
some time back. However, I think this provision should be thoroughly
debated so as to avoid ambiguity during interpretation.

I think the Cybersecurity and Protection Bill is much better drafted when
compared to the Computer and Cybercrimes Bill. I however join those who
call for these two draft laws to be amalgamated.

Cheers,

Monyango

On Aug 4, 2016 06:11, "Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet" <