[kictanet] ICT Bill is not going away

Elizabeth Rossiello elizabeth at bitpesa.co
Mon Aug 1 11:26:05 EAT 2016

 I had a very frightening conversation on Thursday, where a self-proclaimed
"Tech Person" and leader of a business networking association declared the
following:

- "The techies of Kenya were getting out of control and taking over the
direction of the country without supervision"
- "Private businesses should choose their employees with the help of the
government (via this bill's licensing and certification)"
- "Kenya is happy to be the only country in the world [besides Ethiopia]
with such stringent measures because it is a leader"
-"Doctors need to be licensed and so do Techies"

... when I responded that I would have to fire 8 young Kenyan female
employees who are well-paid and highly competent because they don't have
the appropriate license, they said "the government should be involved in
who you can hire."

I was shocked at the misinformation and views.  This is akin to the way
Trump supporters spew misinformation they receive from Fox News.  Most of
it seems to stem from a lack of knowledge on what defines a "techie" and
what they are and are not capable of.  It seems as some people think there
is an army of robots about to take over this country from the innocents.

Who has been driving this narrative?

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Watila Alex via kictanet <

> they are not being honest.
>
> based on the views they have received they can recommend its withdrawal.
>
> regards,
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Mon, 1 Aug, 2016 at 9:50, Tony White via kictanet
> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>
> http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Our-hands-tied-in-ICT-Bill/996-3324824-5haiq1/index.html
>
> We need a proper public consultation on this, in the same way as the
> current Cybercrimes bill, and the recent ICT policy.
>
> Just another thought that has not so far been raised: Engineers are
> also 'ICT Practitioners', so are some lawyers, so are some doctors, so
> are many other professions, which each already have their own
> registration.  So they now must ALSO be registered as ICT
> practitioners?
>
> --
> Tony White

Elizabeth Rossiello