[kictanet] [isoc_ke] EU hits Google with Anti-Trust complaint

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:00:15 EAT 2016

Hi Wangari,

"Incidentally the innovations especially the smart phone ain't so
smart as its name. From practical usage point, most models cannot hold
power to keep  working to match the features carried and the user
needs they could satisfy."

Partially agreed - although if 'tethered' to a desk, with additional
peripherals, then it's OK

"In this energy conserving times most are energy inefficient. Why do
we allow them into our markets? To suck up energy that would be used
up elsewhere."

Totally disagree! - my 'phone'  gives me 8 hours on a 3Ah battery
(which the 'marketing department' describes as 3000mAh - big numbers
look good!) - which equates to about 12 Watt-hours or 0.012KWh - at 20
bob per KWh, is 24 cents.
On the other hand - my laptop consumes 50 Watts - which for the same 8
hours is 400 Watt-hours or 0.4 KWh - at 20 bob per KWh, is 8 bob

Summarising - the phone costs 3 cents per hour, and the laptop 1 bob per hour.

Don't let's even get into the power usage of all the desktops!

"On the phone front, the basic phone 'mulika mwizi' is still the real
go-to-survivor phone."

Agreed - but that is 'just a phone' - I'm talking about the evolution
of computing devices (which 'happen' to also include traditional
telephone capability)

Exciting times we are in, whatever the outcome :)

Cheers

Tony White