[kictanet] Why ISACA is cracking the whip on individual auditors

Paul Roy roykoikai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:55:24 EAT 2016

Dear Listers,

On November 13, 2015 I wrote to the CBK governor Dr. Njoroge expressing
concerns over the conduct of audit firms in Kenya. Top of my agenda was to
instill discipline to the auditors in Kenya and restore confidence to
shareholders over reported state of their business. This was as a result of
the collapse of Imperial bank with blames pointing to weak audit practices
and some sort of collusion.

As you may know, I am the current President of ISACA Kenya the body that
certifies and regulates IT/System Auditors(CISA). ISACA has a code of
conduct for all it's professionals working in the cybersecurity, assurance,
audit and risk management functions. All certified members know that they
are required to adhere to strict ethical standards.

That's why in the wake of the mounting blames on poor audits and in
particular IT audits, as an association we are going to investigate
individual auditors and recommend that they are struck off their title
should they be found culpable. Further we are going to work with CBK to
enforce that all IT/System auditors must be fully certified and also be in
good standing with professional bodies ICPAK, ISACA & others.

By holding individuals accountable will help eliminate instances of
collusion and professional negligence in performance of IT/System Audits
and give shareholders and the regulator a true reflection of their
financial institutions.

Your views and suggestions are welcome.

regards,

Paul Roy Owino.