[kictanet] Digital privacy discussions: Day one,

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:42:02 EAT 2016

Listers,

I came across this article by Paul Budde that adds value to the discussion:
 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160401_gvmt_industry_collaboration_better_than_developing_surveillance/

Allow me to copy and Paste for those who done have time to read blogs:

Government-Industry Collaboration Is Better than Developing a Surveillance State

President Obama, in March 2016, again stressed the need for better
collaboration between the tech industry and the government. He
referred to his own White House initiative — this has resulted in the
newly-formed US Digital Service, which is trying to recruit the tech
industry to work with and for government.

One of the key reasons it is so difficult to establish trustworthy,
good working relationships is the extreme lack of tech understanding
among most politicians and government bureaucrats. Because of that
they fall back on heavy-handed legislation. We saw this recently in
the USA in relation to the Apple vs FBI case (which fortunately has
been dropped), where both politicians and the public media showed an
enormous lack of understanding of the consequences of such dogmatic
approaches.

The current relationship between government and industry remains very
much a top-down approach. We tell you what to do and you do what you
are told. While this relationship is widespread across all sectors, it
is particularly evident in telecoms — for example, in telecoms
policies, data surveillance and data protection legislation, and
innovation policies. Another issue is that for political reasons
government prefers to come up with silo-based piecemeal policy
announcements and spin them out over long periods, while the country
needs a far more holistic approach.

Both government and industry do, in general, understand that there are
national interest issues as well as commercial issues, but the best
way to address such issues is through a better relationship between
government and industry — in this case the tech industry. The Obama
initiative is a great example of a positive move in that direction.

A key issue I would like to highlight here is data surveillance
policies. The proposed legislation will boost the government's power
to give directions to telcos in relation to infrastructure security,
including issues such as vendor choice and network design, as well as
forcing carriers to inform government security agencies of significant
changes to their networks.

Rather than introducing such dogmatic and heavy-handed legislation a
close working relationship between the government and the industry
would be less intrusive and far more effective. These issues are being
across the entire western world.

The main reason I am against the heavy-handed approach is that in this
way long-standing democratic principles are being eroded by 'the
'state' under the banner of protecting people against terrorism (and
other bad things). At the same time I believe that this new level of
'state protection' is the biggest danger to our individual rights and
freedoms, or more generally to our democratic systems.

Under the influence of ultra-right movements in the USA, Europe and
Australia we see national states implementing draconian laws to
protect its people. While some of this might be genuine this
environment also allows power-hungry politicians, bureaucrats and
demagogues to use the atmosphere of uncertainty to increase their own
positions and political powers — and they don't shy away from using
plain lies, half-truths, racism and other questionable methods. With
the assistance of a dumbed down right-wing press this rot is spreading
throughout society. However, such policies are failing and will
continue to fail in the cat and mouse game between policies and
technological developments.

This has more to do with political expedience than with addressing the
real issues. As we see with Trump and other populist politicians, they
don't get a majority but their influence on other politicians, and
their consequent political decisions, is significant; and this in turn
leads to many people no longer seeing the state as representing them.
They see that, by moving in these 'protective' directions, states are
using all kinds of new laws, regulations and restrictive measures to
undermine the society, culture and traditions that they have helped
develop over the last 50 years or so.

What this does goes directly against some of our most valued
democratic principles — whereby the state becomes more and more
involved in all aspects of the daily life of its citizens. Eventually
this will backfire, as people become more and more suspicious of the
state that no longer truly represents its people.

Both Nietzche and Orwell warned against such developments.

I believe that the majority of people still prefer a far more centrist
political system.

I remain positive that we can avoid the most disastrous elements of
these current political developments. However it requires those people
who are concerned about it to remain vigilant and not allow paranoia
and dogma to take over from reason.

By Paul Budde, Managing Director of Paul Budde Communication. Paul is
also a contributor of the Paul Budde Communication blog located here.

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277