[kictanet] Fwd: Internet Petition: Free Nizar Zakka!

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Sun Apr 3 12:40:29 EAT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

One of our international colleagues with whom we have been
collaborating, attending ICT and Internet Governance forums, Mr. Nizar
Zakka disapperaed in Iran about 6 months ago.  Nizar is a director in
WITSA and Regional Vice Chairman for MENA. On September 11, 2015, he
received an official invitation from the Vice President of the Islamic
Republic of Iran to attend a conference on Role of “Women in Sustainable
Development - Entrepreneurship and Employment” in Tehran, where he was
invited as a speaker, being an expert in ICT for Development. After the
conference, as he was departing for the airport, on September 18th, to
return back to Lebanon, he was held by Iranian security agents. Since
then, he has been detained in Evin prison and to our knowledge, without
due process, legal representation, or visitation from the Lebanese
embassy in Iran, which are considered basic human rights and preserved
under the Vienna Convention, of which Iran is a signatory. Apparently,
Mr Zakka was also not allowed to be seen by his lawyer. More than six
months have passed and we have indications that his  health is
faltering. Mr. Zakka started a hunger strike on March 13, 2016.

 I wanted to let you know about an important iPetition to free Mr. Nizar
 Zakka that has been brought to my attention by Mr. Salam Al Waeli,
 Director of Programs at the Arab ICT Organization (iJMA3). Anyone can
 sign this petition at
 http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/free-nizar-zakka.

 A Nizar Zakka Supporters page is also available on Facebook at
 https://www.facebook.com/nizarzakkasupporters/timeline. Additional
 posts about Nizar can be found at
 https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/freenizarzakka?source=feed_text&story_id=10153692868517909.