[kictanet] Most visited websites in Kenya

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Sep 24 17:04:46 EAT 2015

On 24 September 2015 at 12:21, James Wamathai via kictanet <

> It's complicated. I think the biggest problem we have here is that people
> prefer International content and sites to Kenyan sites in general. You'll
> find that if I write a story about A, he'll never even bother to share it
> but if an International site does it, it's a real honour to them and
> they'll share the hell out of it. Also, even just news consumption. It's
> always better if it's foreign. A lot of traffic also goes to social
> networks and porn sites which we really don't have here.

That is not true Wamaitha. We love local content. It's more relevant to us.
The problem is, hapakenya is not my home page. 90% of Kenyans homepage is
google.co.ke ... google.com. How many times have I wanted to know what fun
activities to do for my family in a weekend but I have no access to such
info. Even when I get to sites who specialize on the same, I find they have
not updated. So for content providers, continue producing, every day
Content is like farming. Farmers plant, harvest, sell, go back to plant,
harvest, sell. And search engines love updated new content. But the
progress is good. We are not where we were 5 years ago. Like Elimu TV now
enables KCPE students to revise using whatsapp. How cool can anything be
than that?

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson