[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] IPU Resolution on democracy, privacy, and mass surveillance

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:49:43 EAT 2015

Listers,

This might be usefull to some listers.

Regards

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Hill <rhill at hill-a.ch>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:36:27 +0100
Subject: [Internet Policy] IPU Resolution on democracy, privacy, and
mass surveillance
To: internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org

The Inter-Parliamentary Union is the organization that comprises many of the
world's parliaments. It is not well known, but it has recently adopted some
resolutions that should be of interest.  In particular, a new resolution on
Democracy in the Digital Era and the Threat to Privacy and Individual
Freedoms, see:

  http://www.ipu.org/conf-e/133/Res-1.htm

Operational paragraph 3 underscores that legislation regarding surveillance
must be based, inter alia, on the principles of necessity and
proportionality. I believe that this is the first example of a global state
institution explicitly adopting those principles (but I believe that some
European court judgments also mention both principles).

Paragraph 4 calls for removing limitations on freedom of expression (as does
paragraph 17) and upholding the principle of net neutrality.  Again, I
believe that this is the first example of a global state institution
explicitly adopting the principle of net neutrality.

Paragraph 7 basically calls for an end to current mass surveillance
practices.

Other paragraphs of the resolution are also significant.

Information on the IPU is at:

 http://www.ipu.org

Best,
Richard