[kictanet] FinFisher, how the government contacted a Germany company to spy on its citizens

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 22:25:32 EAT 2015

Use of sophisticated spy-ware software by NIS will invite commensurate
effort among researchers, developers and others of the profession to offer
anti-spyware solutions that work - all in the name of human rights and
fundamental privacy protection.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <

> Whose communication is safe? It seems nobody if the research below by
> CitizenLab is to go by. If you are a person of interest, the government
> reads everything you read and write.
>
> Where is the threat if government uses hacking to safeguard it's citizens?
> Here is a short answer; "research and revelations about Hacking Team’s
> Remote Control System (RCS), a competitor product, have also made it clear
> that some government customers used these tools to target their political
> opponents, rather than security threats to their citizens."
>
> This is how the government is spying on you.
>
> https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/
>
> This post describes the results of Internet scanning we recently conducted
> to identify the users of FinFisher, a sophisticated and user-friendly
> spyware suite sold exclusively to governments.  We devise a method for
> querying FinFisher’s “anonymizing proxies” to unmask the true location of
> the spyware’s master servers.  Since the master servers are installed on
> the premises of FinFisher customers, tracing the servers allows us to
> identify which governments are likely using FinFisher.  In some cases, we
> can trace the servers to specific entities inside a government by
> correlating our scan results with publicly available sources.  Our results
> indicate 32 countries where at least one government entity is likely using
> the spyware suite, and we are further able to identify 10 entities by
> name.  Despite the 2014 FinFisher breach, and subsequent disclosure of
> sensitive customer data, our scanning has detected more servers in more
> countries than ever before.
>
> *Executive Summary*
>
> FinFisher is a sophisticated computer spyware suite, written by
> Munich-based FinFisher GmbH, and sold exclusively to governments for
> intelligence and law enforcement purposes.  Although marketed as a tool for
> fighting crime,1
> <https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/#1> the
> spyware has been involved in a number of high-profile surveillance abuses.
> Between 2010 and 2012, Bahrain’s government used FinFisher to monitor some
> of the country’s top law firms, journalists, activists, and opposition
> political leaders.2
> <https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/#2> Ethiopian
> dissidents in exile in the United Kingdom3
> <https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/#3> and
> the United States4
> <https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/#4> have
> also been infected with FinFisher spyware.
>
> In 2012 and 2013, Citizen Lab researchers and collaborators,5
> <https://citizenlab.org/2015/10/mapping-finfishers-continuing-proliferation/#5>published
> several reports analyzing FinFisher spyware, and conducted scanning that
> [...]

John Kieti
Phone: +254-735-764242 // +254-722-764242
Twitter: @johnKieti // Skype:  jkieti
Blog: gmeltdown.com <http://www.gmeltdown.com> // LinkedIn:
https://ke.linkedin.com/in/*kieti* <https://ke.linkedin.com/in/kieti>

The ordinary just won't do