[kictanet] How to destroy value and the Ecosystem at Silicon Savannah

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 07:23:49 EAT 2015

Hi Ali,

Many thanks for this incisive and timely write up.

1. It is an unfortunate state of affairs  and many of us have chosen
to bury our heads in the sand because of the relationships we have
with the protagonists. To use a laymans analogy, it is a bad dream, be
that as it may, joy will come in the morning.

2. This scenario has become common in the ICT Eco-system. As
stakeholders we need to deliberately and intentionally invest in
learning a few things about Corporate governance. For those who have
been following developments in the industry, you can actually identify
organizations in the Public, Private Sector and Civil Society that
have gone through serious challenges due to corporate governance
issues despite immense goodwill and talented membership. Indeed as
techies or tech oriented people we need to move away from the back
office and embrace front office as well as management
/governance/finance related issues.

3. As a member of the Joint Technical Commitee 93  on IT Security at
Kenya Bureu of Standards, we have been working on Standards
application for Cloud Computing Service providers, we realized that
none of the companies locally have actually deployed this standards
yet they would have addressed and mitigated the issues faced by Angani
which extended to the companies customers. That said we have learnt
very important lessons as a tech community. The Standards should be
available for purchase at the Kenya Bureu of Standards library soon
and we encourage listers to invest in the same especially cloud
service solution providers.

4. Finally i also encourage our colleagues involved to find an
amicable way out of the quagmire. As a community, let us take the
conciliatory path and avoid blogging rumours which are creating more
confusion.

My ten cents for now

Regards

--