[kictanet] Coming Soon: Free Internet to Rural Areas (There is never a free ride)

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Nov 18 14:05:47 EAT 2015

Net Neutrality and Zero Rating was the trending topic in this year's IGF in
Brazil. People took sides depending on their interests. For example,  a
research in Asia revealed that zero rated services were an entry point for
people who had no access to Internet, and those who used zero rated
services went on and converted to paid users after seeing the benefits of
the Internet. Another research shows that people don't use the Internet not
because of the cost, but because they don't need it. Weird conclusion I can
say. And some interesting facts is, in communities where zero rated
services were the norm, the users did not know the difference between the
Internet and Facebook. That is a major problem if you ask me. Another
research that Mozilla Foundation was involved in found that when users are
given Internet bundles, they accessed diverse types of websites, not just
FB and Wikipedia. But the big question was, who funded these types of
research? An interested party would of course ensure research results are
tilted to their interests.

All that not withstanding, we should pay keen interests to the following
points,
1. Zero rating is illegal in most of Europe,  And USA. Even in Brazil, zero
rating is not acceptable. Ask yourself why.
2. Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) is a regulator and not a policy
maker. Without policy on Net Neutrality, they have nothing to enforce thus
leaving market players to their own devices, including abuse. Us the
community, in an all inclusive manner should develop a Net Neutrality
policy that can be adopted.
3. CA are usually given targets to ensure universal coverage of
communication services. I am sure they are very happy to maintain the
status quo since they will report zero rated services as a metric of
increased access. This will be a big lie because they will have denied the
rural folks access to the Internet. We all know one website is not the
Internet. The best practice is to have the regulator pressure telcos
increase rollout in under-served regions as part of their Universal Service
obligations.
4. Zero rating infringes on fundamental human rights by denying users
access to the Internet. It may be a conspiracy to keep developing countries
in the darkness of the information age. Refer to point 1 above.
5. Let us advocate for universal coverage, better utilisation of USF,
telecommunication infrastructure sharing, increased road coverage,
accessible wayleaves and cable ducts,  and affordable energy. All these
will ensure the COST of internet comes down to a level where every citizen
can afford.
6. Countries with no proper access to the Internet will find it difficult
to participate in the Internet Economy. And isn't the entire world now an
Internet economy?

There is more, but these points are what comes to mind.

(errors and omissions are mine, sent on the go using a handheld device. No
zero rated service used)
On Nov 18, 2015 12:51 PM, "Davis Onsakia via kictanet" <