[kictanet] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- 2015 Multistakeholder Ethos Award Goes to Two Members of the Global Internet Community

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:54:34 EAT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ICANN At-Large Staff <staff at atlarge.icann.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:17:43 +0000
Subject: [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- 2015 Multistakeholder
Ethos Award Goes to Two Members of the Global Internet Community
To: "alac-announce at atlarge-lists.icann.org"
<alac-announce at atlarge-lists.icann.org>

[ICANN]<http://www.icann.org/>
News Alert

https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2015-06-25-en

________________________________
2015 Multistakeholder Ethos Award Goes to Two Members of the Global
Internet Community

Buenos Aires, Argentina... ICANN is pleased to announce the winners of
this year's 2015 Multistakeholder Ethos award: Africa Internet pioneer
Nii Quaynor and community leader Cheryl Langdon Orr. The Award honors
and recognizes members from the global Internet community who have
demonstrated an incredible dedication to the multistakeholder model of
Internet Governance. The two received their award during the opening
ceremony of ICANN53 in Buenos Aires.

Nii Quaynor was recognized for his historical and current role in
ICANN and the global Internet community. He was instrumental in
establishing AFRINIC and AFNOG in Africa, and has been referred to as
the father of the Internet in Africa for his unwavering commitment
over the past two decades in pioneering Internet development and
expansion on the continent.

"To me, this is a testimony that ICANN in its own way is international
and open. Someone from the developing world can contribute and be
recognized by his peers in ICANN," said Quaynor.

Cheryl Langdon Orr, based out of Australia, has served in numerous
GNSO, CCNSO and ALAC Cross community working groups over the years.

"As I receive this - and I humbly receive this with great
appreciation, I take this as a huge honor - I'd like each and every
one of you volunteer people to look to your left, look to your right.
Take this as your award as well because without this collaboration,
without building consensus in a bottom-up way, we don't function in a
multistakeholder model," said Orr.

Nii Quaynor and Cheryl Langdon Orr both met the criteria in such
distinctive ways that this year two Awards were given to recognize
their outstanding work and commitment to the global Internet
community.

Selected from amongst 16 nominees, the Community Evaluation Panel felt
that they both demonstrated the spirit of collaboration with other
community members on consensus building while proving their dedication
to the ICANN multistakeholder model throughout the years.

The ICANN Multistakeholder Ethos award program was created in 2014 to
recognize ICANN participants who have deeply invested in
consensus-based solutions and the importance of ICANN's
multistakeholder model to Internet Governance.

Media Contacts

Luna Madi
Communications Director, EMEA
London, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 7780947574
Email: luna.madi at icann.org<mailto:luna.madi at icann.org>

James Cole
Global Media Coordinator
Washington, D.C.
Tel: +1 202 733 7598
Email: james.cole at icann.org<mailto:james.cole at icann.org>

About ICANN

ICANN's mission is to ensure a stable, secure and unified global
Internet. To reach another person on the Internet you have to type an
address into your computer - a name or a number. That address has to
be unique so computers know where to find each other. ICANN
coordinates these unique identifiers across the world. Without that
coordination we wouldn't have one global Internet. ICANN was formed in
1998. It is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with
participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet
secure, stable and interoperable. It promotes competition and develops
policy on the Internet's unique identifiers. ICANN doesn't control
content on the Internet. It cannot stop spam and it doesn't deal with
access to the Internet. But through its coordination role of the
Internet's naming system, it does have an important impact on the
expansion and evolution of the Internet. For more information please
visit: www.icann.org<https://www.icann.org/>.

--
Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277