[kictanet] Fwd: Digital to Analog Conversion

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:24:09 EAT 2015

While lauding the very good intentions of "Made in Kenya" and the many
Kenyans who emotionally support local manufacturing, it is important to
note that local manufacturing will not take off as long as we have a
punitive import policy.

Our import policy punishes importers with lengthy delays, and lots of taxes
and levies. This is especially true for small importers.

Unfortunately, we live in an age of Global Supply Chains. To export, one
must import things like raw materials, prototypes, labour, and more.

By finding it prohibitive to import, businesses can't come up with
manufactured goods and services to export.

Let's take South Korea. It's the world's 8th largest importer, which in
turn enables it to be the world's 7th largest exporter.

Brazil is often the bastion of anti-importers. They point at Brazil's
position as the 7th/8th largest economy. However, Brazil's anti import
policy is not the contributor here, but rather it's population is. It has
the 5th largest population globally (hence you see it still loses otherwise
it would be 5th largest economy). Brazil is also a large oil producer. In
fact, it's strong anti import policy has come with high costs in the form
of economic and government instability that led to coups.

Back to Kenya, the reason why the Brick is designed in Kenya, but not
manufactured here is because manufacturing the same here loads high import
costs in the form of component taxes.

Every manufacturer has a goal to sell to as many people as possible.
Therefore, even if they start by importing finished products, they normally
will want to progress to manufacturing the same with the goal of keeping
more of the profits, and eventually sell to more people by exporting to
other countries.

Thus, we have to work on making it less punitive to import if we plan to
build local manufacturing, otherwise manufacturers will move to countries
where it is easy to be part of the global supply chain.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 at 22:08 DigitalTVAfrica via kictanet <