[kictanet] [isoc_ke] #KeIGF Online Discussions Day 6: Openess

Mwende Njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:13:10 EAT 2015

Dear all

The net neutrality debate will soon land on the shores of Africa ...forcing
telcos to re-strategize.

Here is an article I had written awhile back which I believe is relevant to
our discussion

http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/profiles/blogs/are-africa-telco-strategies-really-working

Kind regards
Mwende

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Mose Karanja via kictanet <

> [...]
>> Message but never considered it from a net neutrality standpoint. Although,
>> in a society like ours where we have a privitised version of almost every
>> service (education, health, transport...) would it not make more sense to
>> have people pay for the Internet services according to their needs?
>>
>> And still on the issue of openess, last week we had a long discussion
>> here about Equitel, and among the many things said was that it would really
>> make a difference if the service is open to other providers and platforms.
>> Would this be a good thing? Probably yes for all the entrepreneurs in the
>> ICT space and of course consumers...
>>
>> @ Liz,
>> I always get amused at how operators especially international ones define
>> their space in Kenya. While they would very much like to cooperate with the
>> State on issues of national security, they also want to maintain the same
>> level of freedom known back in their countries of origin. Tricky balance.
>> That is why most would rather have a judicial interpretation to requests
>> for information.
>> I think local operators are more cooperative...some even have programmes
>> under which they assist the state with aspects of security. I am sure you
>> have heard stories of thugs stealing everything from people but leaving
>> behind their smartphones to avoid being traced.
>> However, there is also an emerging trend of operators (both local and
>> international) volunteering what they deem as information that could affect
>> security to State agents without a request from the State.
>>
>> Regards,

>>> Grace, Liz and all
>>>
>>> This is a pet issue of mine. Let me be blunt.
>>>
>>> Net Neutrality is not something that we understand. We think that it
>>> doesn’t affect us, its too foreign and is the preserve of busy bodies who
>>> have nothing else to do.
>>>
>>> We must address this issue and elevate it to the level of importance it
>>> deserves. The average African (Kenyan) doesn't really care about this issue
>>> because after all if he/she receives 'free internet’ through
>>> internet.org and other initiatives by the internet super powers who are
>>> we to say no? We just don’t seem to grasp the devastating effects of
>>> continuously being the net consumer of foreign content through social media
>>> and other avenues. If we allow this to continue then what happens to all
>>> our local content that will be ‘shut out’ of the net through people
>>> consuming ‘free internet’?
>>>
>>> Here’s a favourite Whatsapp message circulating for the last two weeks
>>> or so:-
>>>
>>> ‘HEY, I AM INVITING YOU TO ACTIVATE WHATSAPP WITHOUT INTERNET.THIS IS AN
>>> AMAZING SERVICE.NOW YOU CAN RUN WHATSAPP WITHOUT INTERNET.CLICK HERE TO
>>> ACTIVATE — WHATSAPPNODATA,COM
>>>
>>> Seriously?
>>>
>>> I’m reminded of a discussion I had with some friends a few weeks ago.
>>> And it goes something like this:-
>>>
>>> In a Market Place there are three key players:-

>>> 2. The Seller