[kictanet] [isoc_ke] #KeIGF Online Discussions Day 6: Openess

Liz Orembo lizorembo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:40:37 EAT 2015

Morning Grace, all,

I would say Internet in Kenya is still 'unregulated' when it comes to
content filtering. I havent come across blocked sites, however, with the
recent revelation of the Hacking team-Govt emails. We dont know what else
the government has been upto.

Last year vodacom released a transparency report, but no data was revealed
because of unclear legal position.

The legal position is unclear regarding whether or not it would be lawful
> for Safaricom (Vodafone’s local associate operator) or Vodafone to disclose
> statistics related to agency and authority communications data demands.

http://www.vodafone.com/content/sustainabilityreport/2014/index/operating_responsibly/privacy_and_security/law_enforcement/country_by_country.html#top

Is it the same case with other service providers? and is it possible for us
to seek clarification?

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via isoc <
isoc at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:

> Listers,
> We hope you are all well post POTUS visit.
>
> Due to the the national activities last week, we were not able to post the
> last issue for discussion. Many of you had requested for a discussion on
> openness of the Internet and so we shall tackle that today. You are also
> welcome to contribute to all the other discussion threads from last week as
> we gear up for the face to face KeIGF .
>
> The idea of an open Internet is the idea that the full resources of the
> Internet and means to operate on it are easily accessible to all
> individuals and companies. This often includes ideas such as net
> neutrality, open standards, transparency, lack of Internet censorship, and
> low barriers to entry. We seek to answer questions like: how open is the
> Internet in Kenya? Is Freedom of Speech Online encouraged or it is
> suppressed? Are there examples of blocked websites in Kenya?  How easy is
> it to start an Internet business in Kenya?
>
> Should Internet service provider (ISP)  be allowed to speed up, slow down
> or block lawful Web traffic from getting to where you, the customer, want
> it to go?
>
> Should ISPs like Orange or Safaricom demand payment from content providers
> like Facebook or Google because these content providers reap huge profit
> from the infrastructure provided by ISPs?
>
> What is the position of the regulator on net neutrality? What is the
> position of service providers in Kenya on net neutrality?
>
> Over to you.
> Regards,
> --
> Grace L.N. Mutung'u