[kictanet] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Four: Management of Critical Internet Resources

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 06:55:32 EAT 2015

Interesting and relevant read for our discussion.

03 July 2015 - AFRINIC is now the only RIR able to freely allocate
IPv4 address space to its members marking a significant milestone in
the evolution of the global Internet.

ARIN, the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) for Canada, many Caribbean
and North Atlantic islands and the United States, announced on 1 July
2015 that it has activated its "Unmet Request Policy". This means that
ARIN has effectively depleted its free pool of IPv4 address space,
making it the fourth of the world’s five RIRs to do so. This leaves
AFRINIC, the RIR for Africa and the Indian Ocean, as the only RIR with
an as-yet unrestricted pool of IPv4 from which to allocate to its
members.

As of 1 July, ARIN members can now only receive IPv4 space if unused
IPv4 space is returned to ARIN and is redistributed to those on the
waiting list, or if they qualify for an allocation from the reserved
IPv4 space in ARIN’s ‘Last /8’, which was set aside to facilitate IPv6
deployment, or via external IPv4 transfer markets. APNIC – the RIR for
the Asia Pacific Region - was the first RIR to exhaust its supply of
IPv4 address space back in 2011 and the RIPE NCC (Europe, the Middle
East and parts of Central Asia) followed quickly in 2012. LACNIC
(Latin America and the Caribbean) reached its exhaustion trigger level
in June 2014.
Source
http://afrinic.net/en/library/news/1427-the-american-registry-for-internet-numbers-arin-has-announced-that-its-ipv4-inventory-is-now-exhausted