[kictanet] [Security Forum] [Skunkworks] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Two: Cyber Security and Trust

Bwana Lawi mail2lawi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:35:29 EAT 2015

While looking at security from the large scale perspective, let's not
forget the small scale - at a personal level:

a) How much of my info is out there in Mpesa shops?
We basically leave our ID No, phone number and signature all over the
country. Where do those booklets go eventually?
I've heard of stories of people getting calls from scammers with way too
much info. Lately though I've realised agents don't record Mpesa customer
names in their books.

b) IDs retained while entering buildings - there were cases of people's IDs
being used to register them to parties without their knowledge ahead of the
2013 election.

c) Everyday in the matatu I'm amazed at how much info I can glean from
people's phone screens, whether it's SMS messages, screen lock patterns,
whatsapp chats, etc. One can basically follow through a conversation/thread
on whatsapp especially in traffic

d) Dumpster diving - remember this case
<http://blackorwa.com/tag/dumpster-diving/>?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <