[kictanet] [Security Forum] [Skunkworks] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Two: Cyber Security and Trust

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 21 16:56:54 EAT 2015

Hosea Kandie and Fredick Wahome have raised very important points of
institutional frameworks. I just wanted to share the National PKI website
which has a tonne of information on what Kenya has done in that regard.
http://www.ke-cirt.go.ke/index.php/services/national-pki/

Here is a copy paste from the home page:

Kenya’s National Public Key Infrastructure (NPKI)

The National Public Key Infrastructure (NPKI) project is coordinated by the
Ministry of ICT in collaboration with the Communications Authority of Kenya
(CA) and the ICT Authority (ICTA).

A Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) refers to a system for the creation,
storage and distribution of digital certificates which are used to verify
that a particular public key (online identity) belongs to a certain entity.
A PKI is a technical infrastructure that comprises of a Root Certification
Authority (RCA) and a Certification Authority (CA), referred to as an
Electronic Certification Service Provider (E-CSP) in Kenya’s legal and
regulatory framework. The PKI creates a framework for protecting
communications and stored information from unauthorized access and
disclosure by addressing the fundamentals of cyber security –
confidentiality, integrity, authentication and non-repudiation. A PKI is
key to the rollout of e-transaction services.

The Kenya Information and Communications Act, 1998, mandates the
Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) to issue a license to a person
operating an Electronic Certification Service. In this regard, the
Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) has developed a licensing framework
for Electronic Certification Service Providers (E-CSPs).

Kenya’s National PKI comprises of a Root Certification Authority (RCA),
which is managed by the Communication Authority of Kenya (CA) as a
regulatory function, and the Government Certification Authority (GCA), an
E-CSP which is managed by the ICTA. The NPKI is instrumental towards the
effectiveness of the licensing of Electronic Certification Service
Providers (E-CSPs) by the Communications Authority since a licensed E-CSP
must be accredited by the RCA for its digital certificates to be globally
recognized and trusted.

The ICT Authority (ICTA), which is the body responsible for the management
of the mainstream government ICT services, operates the GCA. Other
interested stakeholders who may be issued with an E-CSP license on
application include the banking Sector and the Academia.

The benefits of a National PKI include:
i.    Locally available and cheaper digital certificates/signatures; and
ii.    Operations and services that are within Kenyan law (jurisdiction),
among others.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson