[kictanet] [Security Forum] [Skunkworks] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Two: Cyber Security and Trust

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 21 11:53:06 EAT 2015

On 21 July 2015 at 11:00, Jared Koyier via Security <security at lists.my.co.ke
> wrote:

> The biggest  question is whether people responsible for CyberSecurity in
> government have the resources and technical capacity. Good example is the
> recent embarrassing hackingteam exposure in which one of the officers in
> the NSIS is captured seeking international help in defacing a simple blog.

Just for the record, here is the email transcript where Kenyan State House
operatives were allegedly seeking EXTENAL help to hack Kenya websites
https://www.wikileaks.org/hackingteam/emails/?q=kensi.org&mfrom=&mto=&title=&notitle=&date=&nofrom=&noto=&count=50&sort=0#searchresult

and this his how Nation reported the story:
http://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/NIS-WikiLeaks-Hacking-Team-Surveillance/-/1950946/2784358/-/format/xhtml/-/yu87m6z/-/index.html

Of Interest is sometimes back, a Kenyan government agency was giving orders
that all websites should be hosted locally. From the Hacking Team fiasco,
we can clearly see why the government wants websites to be hosted locally.
So that they can just physically seize the computer box instead of having
to employ Hackers from Russia to do the dirty job for them.

I am surprised Civil Society actors have not come out very strongly to
question this move of internal hacking by government. After Snowden, we saw
how Civil Society in US came out very strongly to protest the violation of
basic rights by the State. The US government had to apologize for the
embarrassing revelations, and try to cover it's back. Of course the
argument I hear this days is there is no government that does not do cyber
espionage. Only that some governments are more adept in their skills than
others.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson