[kictanet] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day One: Inclusiveness and Diversity

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:38:08 EAT 2015

Hi Grace B
Let me respond on two questions you have raised.
On Kenyans being litigious: IMHO many people opt for litigation (which is tiresome and wastes alot of time) if they feel they have no other option(s) to discuss their issue(s). And this may be one way of putting checks on systems. What we should be asking though is, has this been the only way to resolve conflicts in this sector? And if so, why? Did people feel that there was no room to discuss their concerns? And is it possible that there are other forms of conflict resolution that were not considered? Would bringing the complainants onto the table for some negotiation have forestalled the court cases? And how should we take things forward?
Article 10 of Kenya's Constitution places people at the heart of policy making processes. And lets be fair. CA has for example been buying space in newspapers to call on this or that input, and ICTA has infact on several occasions posted the calls on our lists. However, the call for public participation stops there! There is usually no interaction afterwards. And this is a weakness. We therefore need a framework that clarifies on this public participation process. The framework should for example map how views and ideas suggested are reflected in an outcome document of a policy process. If views/suggestions from certain stakeholders are not taken on board, then legitimate reasons for their lack of incorporation (either grounded in law or offensive to public morality) should be provided. This is to avoid suspicion and a feeling from concerned stakeholders who feel the need to participate legitimately in a process, that their time was not wasted and that those calling for public participation were not just giving lip service to article 10 of our constitution.
RgdsGG