[kictanet] Communications Authority of Kenya in trouble, AGAIN

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Jul 17 15:22:50 EAT 2015

Once upon a time, there used to be a Greek Philosopher called Diogenes of
Sinope who lived circa 300BC. With all his flaws aside, Diogenes used to
walk during the daytime with a lantern. Asked why he would say, "I am
looking for one honest man".  His philosophy was the unreasoning behavior
of the people around him meant that they do not qualify as human.

Fast-forward to modern Kenya, we were lucky to have a learned President by
the name of Kibaki whose party DP had a lantern as it's logo. It's no
coincidence then that during Kibaki's regime, Kenya experienced high
economic growth, and drastic reduction in corruption.

The Court of Appeal has rejected the Ministry of ICT request to have the CA
board in office pending the appeal.
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Court-rejects-bid-to-keep-CA-board-in-office/-/996/2791616/-/223accz/-/index.html
This ruling has several implications, one of them being the appointment of
the Director General Francis Wangusi may be deemed null and void because
his appointment came when CA did not have a substantive Board in place.

Well, that is not what I wanted to talk about.
The Ombudsman is probing allegations that the said CA Board has been
allocating themselves hefty allowances totaling 10 million in 5 months.
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Ombudsman-probes-claims-of-irregular-allowances-at-CA-board/-/996/2792204/-/23yvwu/-/index.html

If those allegations are true, I wonder why the Cabinet Secretary would
want to keep a criminal board at CA.

I'm just wondering why honorable Kenyans appointed into positions to
oversight running of important institutions like CA turn into hyenas and
start devouring the institutions.

Is this the reason the community has been advocating for simple reports
from CA like the use of Universal Service Funds (USF) to no avail?

Are these the people derailing President Uhuru's digital government, and
the President's honest fight against corruption?

CS Dr. Matiangi, please shine your lantern over at Communications Authority.

Yours Sincerely,
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson