[kictanet] Tough new rules force all Internet users to list their gadgets

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Jul 1 11:39:10 EAT 2015

This is an interesting one. I personally have no problem with the
regulations and policies being put in place to protect the citizens. But we
should reach a balance on what we can do,  and how to execute it, ensuring
the right to privacy is maintained.

Just trying to analyse some of the conditions: "Failure by any
establishment to adhere to the rules will compel Kenic to withdraw the
Wi-Fi services used by the defaulting institutions."
So will private WIFI need to be licensed? I have a private WIFI at the
office where all my visitors can access the internet as they wait to be
served. Does this mean if I don't adhere to the policy (or is it a law?),
 my private WIFI will be shut down?

Although registering these devices would help them track regular users, are
they considering all the savvy users and even criminals who can hide their
identity, change mac addresses, use proxy servers e.t.c. to continue
accessing the service as thy desire? A serious hacker will never be tracked
by registering their devices.

Is this directive enforceable? When you loose your phone and go to the
police or service providers, the hurdles you go through just forces you to
abandon your quest, forget and move on.

Local hosting:
Last time we heard that it was a requirement to host all content locally,
somebody claimed to have been misquoted. It seems to have comeup again.
"The new rules will also require all Kenyan companies to host their
websites in the country rather than outside. This would help avoid extra
costs associated with sending data out to a different location and back
again to the website owner"
While I am all for local hosting and local content, I don't think this is
an area that needs legislation. The policy should probably read "government
institutions" rather than "Kenyan companies". How would they even enforce
this?
Well, I may be a local company, but my clientele may be in Australia.
Example, a curio shop owner.

A more interesting policy in the offing related to the same news "CA said
it is also working on a memorandum of understanding with the registrar of
companies that will also see anyone registering a company or business in
Kenya compelled to acquire a dot ke (.ke) domain address."
So a local company cannot opt to have a .com or a .africa? Is there
precedence on the same anywhere else in the world?

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/CA-rule-to-require-registration-for-use-of-public-Wi-Fi/-/539546/2771074/-/qsiwmgz/-/index.html

Lets see how all this turns out.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson

On 1 July 2015 at 10:12, cdohnio via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke