[kictanet] Fw: [isoc_ke] The battle for control of Kenyan Digital airspace - Way Forward

Bernard Kioko bkioko at bernsoft.com
Tue Jan 27 18:35:55 EAT 2015

Walubengo am sorry to say that PANG and SIGNET brought the first point on
themselves. Example. ..CAK awarded me the temporary authorization to
broadcast...I built my broadcast station...then PANG and SIGNET gave me
run around for several months forcing me to have to seek extensions from
CAK and even forcing me to sign minimum 5 locations even though my strategy
was different... and further making me to resolve to wait until when full
migration happens so it's cheaper...my own analysis.  If PANG and SIGNET
were smart to enable the more than 100 licensees go live quick...the game
would be slightly different. Now they r stuck with BSD license that
....well...let me not say.
On 27 Jan 2015 18:29, "Walubengo J via kictanet" <

> Its a very complicated chess game going on.
>
> 1. SIGNET+PANG are the designated national digital distributors - but bila
> (without) content to distribute
> 2. The 3private Broadcasters have content - but bila (without)
> distribution rights or licenses.
>
> Regulatory Options:
> 1. Do you FORCE the 3 to surrender their content to SIGNET+PANG for
> distribution?
> 2. Do you give the 3private Broadcasters their own distribution network
> (BSD License?)
>
> Impact
> 1. Option 1 can be and will be frustrated (cry copyright, cry media
> freedom, cry all over to Supreme court +  now Paris :-)
> 2. Option 2 seems attractive and doable - HOWEVER, giving the 3private
> their own license has the following impact
> a) It leaves SIGNET+PANG high and dry with close "nothing" to distribute.
> Technically the close shop.
> b) It leaves the 3broadcasters enjoying and sometimes exploiting their
> dominant position (think Safcom :-)
>
> Way forward.
> Seek solutions together since a local solution must be existing.  Thorax
> and chest thumping by both government and broadcasters will not work and
> will simply leave Kenya's digital migration process critically damaged and
> perhaps beyond salvage.
>

>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* Network of non- formal Educational institutions <
> nnfeischools at yahoo.com>
> *To:* Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com>; KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <
> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>

* ------------------------------ *

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential, legally privileged and protected by law and is intended for
the sole use of the named recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, or
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Any liability (in negligence or
otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from acting
on any information contained in this email is hereby excluded. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete the contents and notify the
sender immediately; do not disclose the contents to any other person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium. Whilst
our e-mails are checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee that this message
or any attachment is virus free, does not contain malicious code or is
incompatible with your electronic system and the Company does not accept
liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related problems
that you might experience. For further information about us, please contact
us at the address indicated below.

Bernsoft Interactive Limited - P O Box 15177-00100 Nairobi - Tel: +254 722
929192 Email: admin at bernsoft.com Web: www.bernsoft.com