[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Milestone: Half of Kenyans are now online, how long till half of them use Bitcoin?

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Jan 15 11:56:57 EAT 2015

Credible statistics! Kibera was the biggest slum in the world until we did
the 2010 census. There were close to 10 million people living there, while
the entire Nairobi was just close to 4.5 million. Talk of Hyperbole.

Ali, I don't think Zuku internet has any significant coverage. They have
setup infrastructure only in the affluent surbubs of the big cities in
Kenya. And not all residents of those surbubs are subscribers.

For once I admit to struggling in getting decent affordable Internet to my
house. I rely heavily on Safaricom for home Internet (it has the best
coverage in my area although its still crappy and cannot even load a WebEx
connection) despite Safaricom being obscenely and immorally expensive.

That brings me to my question. What can be done to provide reliable
affordable broadband Internet to the masses? By affordable, the ratio of
cost of Internet to income per capita should be reasonable. What do I mean?
Kenya's per capita income is about $2790. If the cost of Zuku is $466 per
year (zuku ksh3500 per month*12months/90 dollar exchange rated ), then that
puts the cost of Internet at a bigger fraction of the average household
income earned. Now will Kenya's buy Food or Internet?