[kictanet] Is our ICT GDP growth unable to match national GDP growth?

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:15:37 EAT 2015

Dear Listers,

One would expect ICT to be the fastest growing economic sector in Kenya.
Incidentally its not. In fact there's a declining trend; according to the
rebased national accounts data of 2014 - see visualization attached. The
absolute ICT GDP figures have grown modestly from KES 50 billion in 2006 to
KES 68 billion in 2013, and quite dismally when compared to national GDP
which grew from KES 1.8 trillion to KES 4.7 trillion over the same period.

Granted researchers suggest that much of the positive impact of ICT is felt
indirectly in other economic sectors, are we seeing a suboptimal growth of
ICT's direct contributors to GDP over the years?

What do pundits here think?

br

--
My Blog - gmeltdown.com <http://www.gmeltdown.com>