[kictanet] Kenya's Tech Startup scene leaves investors underwhelmed

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 20:38:15 EAT 2015

@David,
sounds like a good topic.  Investment in the ICT arena.  I would imagine that high-capital investments are done and dusted i.e. setting up mobile networks, setting up media and broadcasting houses, laying fiber, etc.
The remaining area of ICT investment is in the low-capital investment area a.k.a innovations. Software based Innovations along the spirit of FB, Twitter, MPESA, Google, etc.  Essentially Kenya lacks investors in this space.  Local banks only fund the traditional, tried and tested business models like opening up a bakery, building flats for sale/rent, land transactions, etc but have not time to invest in "ideas".
So you would probably need to schedule 2 talks/sessions around.
1. Why and how to fund/investment  in ICT ideas/research (get  someone from Govt, Commission for Sci, Tech & Innovation (??) , get someone from Academia, (Dr. Ndemo?) , from Industry ((Joe/Veronica of Safcom Innovation Directorate))
2. Why Kenyan investors dont fund ideas/innovations (get one fellow from Industry(Joe/Veronica of Safcom Innovation Directorate), Govt (Victor, ICTA) , Investment banker/Venture Capitalist (e.g. ????)
You can pay me 2Chickens for the advise...IEBC type Chicken not your local luhyia rooster :-)
walu.