[kictanet] Kenya's Tech Startup scene leaves investors underwhelmed

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:49:29 EAT 2015

I think there is good work which is being done in the sector, albeit with
challenges, which is normal. People had great expectations of a tech boom,
which unfortunately is yet to be realized. But all is not, lost, the
potential exists and we just need to restrategise.

My observation is that there is a missing link between innovation and the
market. The startups/ICT business need to invest more on R&D to ensure that
their products are actually meeting a need in the market, then come up with
stuff that the market actually needs and not so what they think the market
needs. Plus, while not advocating for copying, its possible to come up with
alternatives for what's already in the market  especially for mobile apps
for android, iOS, WP etc. I may be wrong, but there are very few apps
across the various categories e.g. games, entertainment, utility apps etc
from kenya on those appstores. Most are news/corporate apps.

We should therefore continue encouraging guys to innovate at all levels,
high school, uni etc., and for all manner of things if possible, then help
them put their apps in the market. Also, encourage industry to work and
partner with schools, colleges and universities to harness talent.

Plus, it doesn't have to make money immediately, but at least should have
potential. Then they figure how to monetize it later.

I agree, we need good environment - policy, legal, financial etc to
catalyze innovation. Good copyright & patent system are also key. And when
GoK is giving financial support, it should not just be for one off
projects, but for innovative ideas with demonstrated potential.

Victor

Victor Kapiyo

*"Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude" Zig
Ziglar*

On 7 January 2015 at 05:24, Matunda Nyanchama via kictanet <