[kictanet] CITIZEN, NTV, KTN LAST MINUTE COURT APPLICATION FAILS TO STOP ANALOGUE SWITCHOFF

Baiju Shah baiju at tele2media.com
Thu Jan 1 23:47:52 EAT 2015

Hi All,

The train had left in terms of signal distribution. Let's not forget the
media house together have a very number of viewers who are consuming their
content and also depend information from these channels.
The issue is that on signal distribution how was a large chunk given away
to a foreign company as this is a channel that is critical for the
communications between the government and the public like wise radio.
Furthermore if these 3 companies close today how many jobs will be lost
needs also to be taken into account not even considering the lose of
advertisement based roles ie productions, media preparations etc.
Finally, the quality of news broadcast to be left to tabloid journalists,
are we really looking at the past? Plus shipping of our content consumption
dollar to foreign content productions, I am not sure that a CNN or BBC will
be able to provide a comprehensive coverage of the local news.
I believe that they are fighting to keep their businesses relevant,
unfortunately the CAK and Media Owners seem to have different ideas and
agendas.
Again, to be critical of the whole process, definitive guidelines should
have been very clear to all.
It further seems that the media owners have had enough time pull together
the required infrastructure as they stated in one of their arguments with
the court of large investment they have already made therefore it will not
take long to light up the broadcast network.

My 2.cents worth

Happy New Year 2015 and enjoy the digital broadcast on your TV's

Best Regards,

Baiju Shah
On 1 Jan 2015 22:56, "Grace Githaiga via kictanet" <

> I think the matter is being dragged unnecessarily and I have been
wondering if there will be a time when these media houses will feel 'ready'
to migrate. Yawn!

> Happy 2015 Listers!
>
> ________________________________
> Subject: Re: [kictanet] CITIZEN, NTV, KTN LAST MINUTE COURT APPLICATION
FAILS TO STOP ANALOGUE SWITCHOFF
> From: ali at hussein.me.ke
> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 18:55:59 +0300
> To: ggithaiga at hotmail.com; kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
>

> Grace and all
>
> These shenanigans by the media houses should stop.
>
> That train left the station long time. As the CA SMS messages say:-
>
> Tumetoka Analogue, Tunaenda Digital.
>
> Let them get on with the Programme (Pun intended).
>
> Ali Hussein
>
> +254 770 906375 / 0713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>
> "I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will
have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jan 1, 2015, at 3:13 AM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <
>
>> @James
>> The Standard reported that the three Media houses would not be affected
by the switch off, and that the Supreme Court will issue directives on the
matter on Monday next week.
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2000146378/supreme-court-suspends-kenya-s-analogue-tv-switch-off?pageNo=2

>> ________________________________
>> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 18:01:41 +0300
>> Subject: CITIZEN, NTV, KTN LAST MINUTE COURT APPLICATION FAILS TO STOP
ANALOGUE SWITCHOFF
>> From: jgmbugua at gmail.com
>> To: kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke; ggithaiga at hotmail.com
>>
>> Listers,
>>
>> Looks like Media owners might have lost this one for good.
>>
>> The only issue was whether the interpretation to continue with digital
migration while saying licenses will not be cancelled can be construed as
cancelling the license to broadcast in Nairobi.

>> CITIZEN, NTV, KTN LAST MINUTE COURT APPLICATION FAILS TO STOP ANALOGUE
SWITCHOFF

>> Analogue TV signals in Nairobi and its environs will be switched off
tonight at 11:59PM or after the Presidential New Year address industry
regulator Communications Authority has vowed.

>> This is despite a court application by the three media houses of Royal
Media (Citizen), NMG (NTV) and Standard Group (KTN) to allow them to keep
broadcasting in analogue until they have their infrastructure in place.

>> But tough talking Ministry of Information and CAK officials said in a
press conference that the switch off timetable as issued in a gazette
notice by Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i, remains in place.

>> Despite obtaining orders from the Supreme Court Vice President Kalpana
Rawal certifying their application as urgent and maintaining status quo
until the hearing set for January 5, Lawyer Wambua Kilonzo acting for CAK
and Mr. Mwangi from the Attorney General's office, said their
interpretation of the court orders was that the digital migration process
was not stopped.

>> "I have advised CAK not to cancel the licenses of the media owners but
this does not stop the digital migration process from going on," Kilonzo
said.

>> Kilonzo in a position supported by the AG's counsel, said the Supreme
Court did not grant orders to prayer number 2 of the media houses for the
digital migration process to be stopped in the meantime.

>> According to CAK Consumer and Public Affairs director Mutua Muthusi, the
channels set for switch off tonight include:

>> Citizen (Channels 34, 39)
>>
>> KTN 59
>>
>> KBC 23
>>
>> K24 26
>>
>> GBS 47
>>
>> NTV 42
>>
>> QTV 12
>>
>> Family 9
>>
>> ETV 62
>>
>> KIss TV (Channel 55)
>>

>> Muthusi said Kenyans are ready to migrate and cited sales figures of set
top boxes which have ballooned in the last month.

>> "STB sales have more than doubled in the month of December," he said
adding that this trend was taking place even outside Nairobi.

http://nairobitech.blogspot.com/2014/12/citizen-ntv-ktn-last-minute-court.html

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com

for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/baiju%40tele2media.com