[kictanet] Kenya's Silicon Savannah & the Need to do more

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 21:07:34 EAT 2015

Hi Dr. Nyanchama,

The article helps in assembling a set of key considerations moving forward
for the sector. On *Research and Development *(R&D), since we don't have
many large native IT corporations that would afford the requisite R&D
budgets, would you recommend that we treat innovation and entrepreneurship
among thousands of startups as a democratized R&D division for the sector?

Also, does it help to classify enterprises in the sector so as to develop
targeted interventions? See my proposed taxonomy
<http://www.slideshare.net/JohnKieti/taxonomy-of-it-enterprises-in-kenya-and-their-undeveloped-growth-interventions-aitec-presentation-feb-2015>
and abstraction of undeveloped interventions shared last week at AITEC.

Best regards

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Matunda Nyanchama via kictanet <

> Friends,
>
> The MoICT and ICT Authority are planning a 2-Day ICT Innovation Forum on
> the 2nd and 3rd of March, 2015. See details on the ICT Authority website)
> <http://www.icta.go.ke/event/national-ict-innovation-forum/>
>
> I offered (and the Technical Committee organizing the Forum agreed) that I
> do 2 Op-ed pieces on the subject as a lead up to the Forum.
>
> Business News >> Kenya as Silicon Savannah - The need to do more!
> <http://www.aganoconsulting.com/businessnews/archives/240>; I will be
> posting the second piece in the next day or so.
>

> Business News >> Kenya as Silicon Savannah - The need to do more!
> <http://www.aganoconsulting.com/businessnews/archives/240>
> Business News - Reading is FunDamental
> View on www.aganoconsulting.com
> <http://www.aganoconsulting.com/businessnews/archives/240>
> Preview by Yahoo
>

>  Kenya as Silicon Savannah - The need to do more!
> by Matunda Nyanchama*
> February 22, 2015
>
> The *National ICT Innovation Forum,*
> <http://www.icta.go.ke/event/national-ict-innovation-forum/> convened by
> the Ministry of Information Communications and Technology and ICT
> Authority, is slated for March 2rd and 3rd, at the Kenyatta International
> Conference Centre (KICC). Its theme is *Silicon Savannah! Mind the Gap!
> Close the Gap!*
>
>  Participants are expected to tackle challenges pertaining to ICT
> innovation in the country and the way forward to ensure ICT innovation
> thrives in Kenya. Industry stakeholders are agreed: our ICT sector has
> reached a tipping point: no longer just a sexy idea, but an industry that
> is creating lasting change and impact.
> One may ask why the theme: *Silicon Savannah! Mind the Gap! Close the
> Gap!*?
>
> The media coinage, *Silicon Savannah,* has become near-synonymous with
> Kenya's technology sector. The words carry a subliminal play with America's
> Silicon Valley, home of many global technology giants such as Apple,
> Google, Oracle and many others.
>
> As a country, we offer a series of advantages to claim the Silicon
> Savannah brand. These include boasting a large number of academic
> institutions offering ICT programmes; taught in English, the global
> business language, steering our next generation of leaders; our laws and
> regulations, favouring free market economics and more. This is in addition
> to Kenya being the region's economic powerhouse despite lacking in
> resources (oil, minerals, etc.) that have been the curse of many African
> nations.
>
> The Silicon Savannah label didn't come by accident. A lot of time and
> effort has been invested in promoting the country as a technology
> destination. Under a triumvirate of the Ministry of Information of
> Communications and Technology, the ICT Authority and Brand Kenya, the
> nation's image as a leader in the technology sector has continued to rise.

> [...]

John Kieti
Phone: +254-735-764242 // +254-722-764242
Twitter: @johnKieti // Skype:  jkieti
Blog: gmeltdown.com <http://www.gmeltdown.com> // LinkedIn:
ke.linkedin.com/in/*kieti*

The ordinary just won't do