[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Should Safaricom be broken up as 'recommended' by Airtel?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:38:00 EAT 2015

On 21 February 2015 at 09:20, Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet <

> Phares,
>
> The difference is, they compete against each other in the market and hence
> push the market and innovations forward.
>
> Think of it this way, what if Telkom Kenya hadn't been broken up? There
> would not have been a Safaricom.
>
> IMO, Safaricom should not be curtailed, but broken into two:
> 1. Safaricom Telcom: Mobile Voice, Data etc Services
> 2. Safaricom Money: Mpesa, Mshwari etc
>
> Safaricom Money as an independent entity should then be a BFF to every
> Telcom local and International in Money Transfer.
>
> Following Ali's argument, this is the company to promote and it could
> easily be the first Kenyan Company in Fortune 100.
>
> But as long as its inside Safaricom where its used as a competetive tool
> against local competition, it will always remain a small operation
> internationally and with

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> time it will stifle local creativity in Mobile Money.
>

> Ngigi,

So, with the argument that M-Pesa and it's siblings M-Name-it is used as a
competitive tool against local competition, does it not go without saying
that the competition should also get their Mobile Money services outside
the wings of the Telco to compete with M-Pesa on level playing field?
I still think Dennis got this right. These other entities are just not
being competitive.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,