[kictanet] Software ownership dispute

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:20:54 EAT 2015

Erastus,

Here is what i can get from this dispute:

*Business Mind vs Tech Mind*
Although you are in business, you handled this engagement with a tech mind.
For this, you missed on several critical business points that your client
was paying keen attention to. After reviewing your documentation, all
indications are that the PataPawa engine was indeed documentally owned by
the client. There is lots of lines in these documents that easily mean that
you were a hired developer than a partner to provide the technology
platform.

Although you were hoping that the revenue share line is most important
because it made you a partner, it is in many way contradicted by other
clauses. You conceived a smart business model when you thought about
revenue share but you did not secure it in this documents effectively.

*Kenyan Courts*
Let me warn you that the Kenyan courts easily fair as corridors of
injustice. Take up this process with an open mind and be even prepared to
loose more. I talk from experience. Many interpretations of the law and
proceedings will baffle you. Don't forget the parallel process called
corruption in the judiciary. If you have been watching a few interesting
movies or series, there nothing like it in our courts. And this after the
famous new chief justice reforms. So, don't go there very hopeful but be
prepared for anything.

*Take the Lesson*
If your client is willing to resolve this dispute out of court, perhaps by
completing the BOT agreement that was still in draft, give it a thought. It
may give you a chance to go on with your business. This is a civil matter
and i don't see any jail issues. You can apologise to the court and judge
and you can be heard about the contempt of court issue too. Don't be afraid
to defend your freedom to go back to your work. But if you are ready to go
full throttle, knock yourself out.

To answer your question on who we think owns the software, most of what you
have shared indicate you were a consultant software developer. I did not
see anything indicating that the copyright was to reside with you. In fact,
clause 6 of the contract has every indication that the software belongs to
the client.

With this, i doubt you will be able to release this under GPL or MIT
licence any time soon.

I really hope that this case teaches many software devs to be more
proactive on the business side. It easy to take up a contract and begin
work but it is very painful when the ending turns out this upsetting.

Best wishes Erastus!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:24 AM, gisho via kictanet <

> Dear listers,
>
> (Sorry for cross posting)
>

> I have an ongoing case against me on regards to a software i developed for
> a client called Ceven ltd on year 2013.
>
> After I resigned from employment at March 2013, I stated doing my own
> projects and thats when the then general manager of Ceven pointed out to me
> that they were in need of a better and more efficient system for vending
> prepaid electricity tokens.  Working at home, i worked for a month and a
> half and presented my demo on April 2013. The demo was received well and
> they gave me the go ahead to finalize the bits that were still rough. The
> demo included interfaces for vendor management, virtual float management,
> billing and a J2ME app for Nokia phones that would dispense a receipt via a
> bluetooth printer.  On April 15th 2013 I installed the application to their
> hardware for a live test. After a thorough test we decided to host the
> server at Access Kenya data center at Baclys Plaza on mid May 2013 and
> continued to push live transactions via the app.
>
> I used a publicly available Ipay API that was then available here:
> https://gforge.bizswitch.net/docman/view.php/9/34/Ipay-prepaidElecTransactionSpec.pdf
> the API is no longer available form that site but can still be found by
> just googling for it. The API enabled me to create a client to connect to
> KPLC prepaid systems.
>
> <https://gforge.bizswitch.net/docman/view.php/9/34/Ipay-prepaidElecTransactionSpec.pdf>
>
> We discussed on payments that i was to take 20% of the net revenue share
> less all technological related expenses which includes the hosting charges
> for the server.
>
> I got my first pay on September 2013 after settling all expenses that were
> to be billed on me over that time.
>
> All this time I was still upgrading the app to accommodate new requests
> from the client and the vendors.
>
> On June 2014, the client sent me the attached draft contract with a 2013
> date and claimed that Ceven ltd owned my application.As at this time the
> business had grown big and was known far and wide. The contract was
> contrary to what i expected and I began to seek legal help and thats when I
> registered a company and also obtained a copyright certificate from Kenya
> Copyright Board. I did not sign the contract as I felt it was unfair on my
> side.
>
> On August 2014 I moved my application from the client's hardware to a
> cloud server and then to my server on October 2014 which was co-located at
> the same place - Access Kenya data center at Baclays plaza.
>
> On October 2014 the client indicated that they were interested in
> acquiring the application and we started negotiations for the same. We all
> agreed that we were to find a party that would do a fair market valuation
> of the software application independently. Attached was our draft MOU that
> would see us through the process of this sale.

> [...]

Muthoni

My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/
Mahatma Gandhi once said:-

First they ignore you,