[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Should Safaricom be broken up as 'recommended' by Airtel?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Feb 18 07:42:42 EAT 2015

Barrack

Anyone who thinks about breaking up a progressive company unfortunately is living in the past.

1. AT&T was broken up but bounced back.
2. Microsoft was threatened with break up but market forces did what the regulators couldn't do.
3. Google is threatened with dominance but we know that there are strong competitors out there.
4. Facebook as strong as it is now facing a teenage backlash who are leaving it in droves because they are reluctant to share the same space with their fathers and grannies.

Even Safaricom needs to watch out - and I don't think they should spend too much time worrying about the regulator (who in my humble opinion is proving quite level headed despite the pressures they may be under) Instead they should worry about Kenyans' Peculiar Habits.

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad