[kictanet] Here I go again on Net Neutrality

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sun Feb 8 03:40:35 EAT 2015

Listers

This statement by the Chairman of the Federal Communication Commission of the U.S. is worth repeating here:-

After more than a decade of debate and a record-setting proceeding that attracted nearly 4 million public comments, the time to settle the Net Neutrality question has arrived. This week, I will circulate to the members of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proposed new rules to preserve the internet as an open platform for innovation and free expression. This proposal is rooted in long-standing regulatory principles, marketplace experience, and public input received over the last several months.

Read more:-

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/fcc-chairman-wheeler-net-neutrality/

This list has been consistent in advocating for a clear policy statement from our own ICT Ministry.  It's time to bring it to the mainstream. Let us not be lulled by the innovations that have happened in this country through an ambiguous policy on ICT to think that we can continue like this without at least some clear rules of engagement.

Let us not forget that a former minister of finance once tried to kill Safaricom's Mpesa because a strong finance industry lobby felt threatened. Today we can't imagine life without Mpesa. Let us not take this for granted.

I would like to propose a forum of different stakeholders:-

1. TESPOK
2. ISOC - Ke
3. Media owners association
4. Government (Ministry,  ICTA, CA, KENET)
5. Drake
6. KEPSA
7. Computer Society of Kenya and other ICT Associations
8. COFEK
9. And other interested parties.

It is incumbent on us as leaders in various fora to stand up and be counted on this.

We can start this discussion in ernest by reviewing where we really are as a country on this important subject matter. For example the freedoms we enjoy in the context of Net Neutrality that we have taken for granted. I'm gratified to note that the Government is taking a firm stand towards certain aspects of Net Neutrality but I contend that we need to solidify and institutionalize the gains made so far.

Your thoughts?

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad