[kictanet] Public Notice by CBK on Virtual Currencies

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:53:22 EAT 2015

"Bitcoin is an algorithm that lets those with serious CPU Power to mine
(generate) bitcoins. "

That's usually where my mind goes blank! I once considered buying a PC -
Core i7, 64GB RAM, install 512GB SSD and start mining Bitcoins. Then I
asked myself - mining what?? Let my PC to run some app 24/7/365 mining
something that's not physical.....Brain lock. Idea shelved. I's rather look
for NYS Tender!

On 16 December 2015 at 18:43, Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet <

> Mark,
>
> Where does Bitcoin derive its value? Because its rare and others are
> willing to pay for the same rarity... Think of Gold, usually not very
> useful, but its rarity and the fact that we and others like 'looking' at it
> gives it value.
>
> Why do 'others' like to pay for Bitcoin? Because it gives them value and
> it helps them to transfer value to others.
>
> As for a Central Organization *minting* more Bitcoins, that's not exactly
> possible. why, because Bitcoin is an algorithm that lets those with serious
> CPU Power to mine (generate) bitcoins.
>
> Minting Bitcoins is actually very decentralized and even *you* can do it.
> The algorithm guarantees that:
> 1. It becomes exponentially harder to keep on minting Bitcoins once the
> minting started. So you need more computer now to keep generating Bitcoins
> 2. There are a finite number of Bitcoins that can currently be generated
> with the resources available
> 3. No central authority can generate Bitcoins and hence flood the market
>
> Some beautiful Math this is...
>
> Rgds
>

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Mark Mwangi via kictanet <
>
>> But where does Bitcoin derive its value? The USD is backed by the US
>> government and so long as the US remains competitive and strong so does the
>> dollar. Same for the Kenya Shilling. Bitcoin is only valuable now because
>> its rare. Nothing else.
>>
>> As has been mentioned before the "Anonymous" nature of it means it could
>> easily be a smart government experimenting. What happens if they decide to
>> mint some more once it has become mainstream?
>>
>> Sure the technology may eventually take hold in some form but I doubt it
>> will be in its current iteration.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM, meshack emakunat via kictanet <
>>
>>> maybe the reason as to why the CBK has somehow distanced itself form
>>> Bitcoins is probably the nature and structure and model that drives them.
>>> i.e they are designed to remain almost unregulated. My say is what if the
>>> solution is not the absolute regulation that is applied to other
>>> currencies(paper money,? what if the solution is just the relative
>>> regulation that the currency seeks. by relative i mean if bitcoin can be
>>> allowed to and accepted as a legal tender and a medium of exchange for "the
>>> internet economy"
>>>

>>> REGARDS
>>>
>>> MESHACK
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:28 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Meshack
>>>
>>> You have brought Ina whole new dimension to this discussion.
>>>
>>> Your assertions by the way are true. That is however changing very fast
>>> with new players surfacing very fast. This is a $580 billion global money
>>> movement space with about $50 billion in fees/and or forex spreads. You can
>>> now see why bitcoins can upset the apple cart..but that's a discussion for
> [...]

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
"I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler."