[kictanet] Introducing Facebook Africa Public Policy Team to KICTANet

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Wed Dec 2 18:48:36 EAT 2015

Hi Kivuva/Hussein. I need a little more enlightenment:

1. Is the "Zero-Rating" issue a debate or has it already been concluded
   that it is a bad thing? There is a hint that supporting it may leave
   one in not very good standing..
2. According to Kivuva's well-written article "Zero rating infringes on
   fundamental human rights by denying users access to the Internet".
   Are other service providers, including those offering "full" Internet
   Access at a fee, stopped or hindered from offering their services
   when some companies offer the zero-rating? Can both forms operate at
   the same time?
3. In Q2 above I have "full" in quotes because in my use of Internet I
   am yet to come across a truly "neutral Internet" i.e. sometimes I try
   to access certain websites or services and you are unable as you get
   a message that you cannot access that site/service from your country,
   meaning many services providers already practise packet filtering.
4. Hussein gives certain characteristics of a "market" but probably
   leaves out a very critical one: Choice. The best market is the one
   where ALL service providers are given the opportunity to offer their
   services and consumers are left to choose. At the end of the day it
   is the consumers that decide which companies and services survive and
   which wilt along the way. Why choose for the consumer beforehand by
   barring certain services or business models?

5. A couple of years ago the cost and affordability of Internet access
   was a key ICT public policy issue. We said it was a major impediment
   to the spread of Internet use. How do we reconcile that with
   opposition to free (ok "free" as Hussein corrected me) services even
   if they are only offering a slice of what an open Internet offers.

On a lighter note these days I am very happy with Facebook especially
the Groups, as I get to know what is going on in the village. But I have
been accessing them using a paid service perhaps I can save a few
shillings if I got to know how to connect for free.

I know Kivuva and Hussein have had extensive opportunity to study this
area of Zero-Rating and also to listen o experts so I apologize in
advance if my questions do not sound sophisticated.

Kind Regards,

Waudo