[kictanet] Kenya among top data collectors, reveals research

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 11:00:19 EAT 2015

Agreed. It makes a lot of us happy - its been a rewarding journey. But
still there is a long way to go for Kenya and Africa in general. We still
need data to drive informed decisions enterprises and SMEs can make.

I think the only time we can really clap for ourselves is when we have data
available to for instance help a startup derive a product simply by
answering this simple question: "How many people do use a mobile phone to
buy and sell a commodity X in the market - and how do they do it". To that
very small detail.

Another one the major concerns we have in the Open Data Space is how timely
a lot of this data out there is and also how comprehensive it is - is it
mostly focused on Nairobi, or can it go down to county and constituency
level.

Amongst other concerns...

So yes, still a long walk to get there.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <

> Kenya is among the most advanced countries in collecting and managing data
> in Africa, a global development think tank has revealed.
>
> Some technology and development experts have even described the country as
> the “Silicon Savannah” of Africa, says a report published by the Overseas
> Development Institute (ODI).
>

> http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenya-among-top-data-collectors-reveals-research/-/1056/2691018/-/o9cwa7z/-/index.html

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Shaper - Global Shapers
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - EveryLayer