[kictanet] Equity Given Go Ahead by CAK

Charles Kimani ckimani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:44:12 EAT 2014

I think the thin sim strategy is brilliant...in theory.

However, I am also wondering just how wise it is to place the success of
your business model at the mercy of a hostile, powerful and uncooperative
business rival.

What if - 6 months after launch, for example - Safaricom decide to upgrade
all their sim cards (genuinely or otherwise) just when Equity is in the
middle of a critical (probably expensive) product rollout?

What if Safaricom customer service and dealer/retail channels start
advising subscribers who are having issues with their lines that the thin
sim is the cause of their problems and show them how to remove it?

How will Equity map their processes and logistics with the Safaricom SIM
replacement processes? Will Equity subscribers need to remember to make an
extra stop at an Equity outlet to have their thin sim re-attached once they
do a sim swap? How easy is it to attach these thin sims?

We have previously seen smart sabotage tactics bring down SAB Miller
ambitions in the Kenyan market. Equity - in my opinion - is giving too much
firepower to a determined competitor. It might be cheaper in the long run
to just invest in own SIM and take Safaricom head-on.

Regards,
Charles

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Dennis Kioko via kictanet <

> Meanwhile, I did get the Equitel SIM Card (haven't seen the infamous Thin
> SIM). So far, here's my experience with the same.
> http://www.infotake.co.ke/2014/09/how-does-equity-banks-equitel-work.html
>
> On 22 September 2014 16:11, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <
>
>> Sometimes diversification leads to loss of focus. Interesting discussions
>> but let us see if this scenario will change some of this Principles that
>> have evolved over time.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Bernard Kioko via kictanet <
>>
>>> I have noted media reports indicating Equity has been granted go-ahead
>>> by CAK to operate with Thin-Sim cards. Game changing I suppose.
>>>

>>> * ------------------------------ *
>>>

>>> This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
>>> confidential, legally privileged and protected by law and is intended for
>>> the sole use of the named recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, or
>>> disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Any liability (in negligence or
>>> otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from acting
>>> on any information contained in this email is hereby excluded. If you are
>>> not the intended recipient, please delete the contents and notify the
>>> sender immediately; do not disclose the contents to any other person, use
>>> it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium. Whilst
>>> our e-mails are checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee that this message
>>> or any attachment is virus free, does not contain malicious code or is
>>> incompatible with your electronic system and the Company does not accept
>>> liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related problems
>>> that you might experience. For further information about us, please contact
>>> us at the address indicated below.
>>>

>>> Bernsoft Interactive Limited - P O Box 15177-00100 Nairobi - Tel: +254
>>> 722 929192 Email: admin at bernsoft.com Web: www.bernsoft.com

>> --
>> Barrack O. Otieno
>> +254721325277
>> +254-20-2498789
>> Skype: barrack.otieno
>> http://www.otienobarrack.me.ke/

> with Regards:
>
> blog.denniskioko.com <http://www.denniskioko.com/>

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon"