[kictanet] Equity Bank vs Safaricom :-Round 2

Consumers Federation of Kenya (COFEK) hotline at cofek.co.ke
Wed Sep 17 15:49:41 EAT 2014

Dear Mr Kioko,

We are watching this debate very keenly. We can’t resist the temptation to comment on your issue. The summary you capture is obviously about Consumer Rights.

Article 46(1)(b) of the Constitution says – “Consumers have the right to the information necessary for them to gain full benefit from goods and services”. Under the Consumer Protection Act, 2012 on Section 5(1) under the quality of goods and services, the law states that: “The supplier is deemed to warrant that the goods or services supplied under a consumer agreement are of a reasonably merchantable quality”

When CA approved 3 MVNO’s in April 2014 without addressing itself to the new emerging challenges, even beyond it, the consumer is left to be a “guinea pig” upon which this technology would be tested upon, with either good or bad results notwithstanding. In the (un)likely event privacy will be lost as a result of such technology, service providers must be reminded that Article 31(c)(d) of the Constitution are not suspended.

At Cofek, we encourage innovations and competition but we must also be sensitive to Wanjiku, the law and public interest. Reulation should not always behind of ICT innovations. It must be ahead so we are not so helpless as to expect MP’s to decide on a highly technical matter as to the pros and cons of a thin sim. Thank you.

David Kedode

Program Officer

www.cofek.co.ke