[kictanet] Equity Bank vs Safaricom :-Round 2

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 14:33:59 EAT 2014

Thanks Gicheru,

I was really getting woried...most of the security concerns raised by listers are the very same ones traditional banks raised against MPESA a few years ago.  Luckily, the regulators then ignored them otherwise the global story of MPESA may never have been told let alone celebrated.

Folks, I am NOT saying there is NO issue with thin-SIM.  There are, but I worry when we sound defeatist and perhaps scared to open a new story of mobile money.  If Kenyans can't do, no one else in the world will.

Lets bring out the concerns, but with a view to resolving them rather than running away from them.

walu.
shared secret: as an info-security professional, I was so paranoid about MPESA that I ended being what strategy books call - Laggards or more politely Late adopters. For years I was quite paralysed with my security analysis (analytic paralysis syndrome) and could dare not sign up. Eventually ofcourse I grudgingly signed up - but still get shivers when am sending that mobile money :-)