[kictanet] Equity Bank vs Safaricom :-Round 2

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Sep 16 15:18:56 EAT 2014

Collins

Well put.

Walu,

I'm keen to understand how a technology which is a commodity ( read here that Safaricom can also implement the same technology) can usurp Safaricom's unassailable lead in this space.

What's my point?

Technology is an accelerator and NOT The Strategy in itself. Assume first that what you can access in the open market (as opposed to restricted technology under patent) your competitors can do so too. We usually forget this but MPesa isn't even the best mobile technology in the country. Not even by a long short! They managed to capture their base through first mover advantage and a positioning statement that was apparently well received by Kenyans. And of course there is the Network Effect of being ubiquitous in the space.

Equity needs to execute with excellence and not depend on the Technology to take on Safaricom.

Needless to say I would love to be a fly on the wall in the strategy sessions currently going on in both companies. Careers will be made or broken on this..no doubt about that.

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad