[kictanet] Fwd: [AfrICANN-discuss] Fadi CHEHADE on MULTISTAKEHOLDERISM & ICANN at IGF 2014

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:39:32 EAT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

This is for your information

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mamadou LO <alfamamadou at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Subject: [AfrICANN-discuss] Fadi CHEHADE on MULTISTAKEHOLDERISM & ICANN at
IGF 2014
To: "africann at afrinic.net" <africann at afrinic.net>

ISTANBUL
September 02, 2014

*Fadi CHEHADE  talking about MULTISTAKEHOLDERISM *
*at IGF 2014!!*
"A couple of years ago, we all met in Dubai at the WCIT, and we left the
WCIT polarized and a little bit divided. It seemed like Internet Governance
in the multi-stakeholder way was in question. I must tell you that today
that's no longer the case. Look around you. Look at "The Buzz," look at the
meetings, look at the energy around multi-stakeholder Internet Governance.
Today we should all look at it and declare it alive and well. No one will
show up and say where is the multi-stakeholder Internet Governance place to
be. I think it's pretty clear. And at the heart of this resurging
multi-stakeholder Internet Governance space lies one platform, and it's
called the IGF. It's a critical platform. It is where we come and make
history to manage the Internet all together just like it was created in a
decentralized completely open way.
So let's celebrate this IGF, this Ninth IGF hosted by Turkey as a point
where no one will ever look back and say where is the multi-stakeholder
community? Where is multi-stakeholder Internet Governance? It is here. It
is working, and it is prepared for the future to make the Internet what we
all want it to be, civil, secure, and empowering. "

*Fadi CHEHADE talking about ICANN **at IGF 2014 !!*

"ICANN is responsible for the critical technical coordination of the unique
identifiers of the Internet. Now, for many years, ICANN has done this job
with a contract with the U.S. Government. On March 14th of this year, the
U.S. Government announced that it plans to let go of this contract.
This is historic decision. This is a decision that validates that we as a
community are now ready to go without this particular unique role that the
United States has played, the stewardship that the U.S. has provided to our
function. We salute the U.S. Government for its decision, and we assure
them that as a community all of us, we are ready, we are ready to go, and
we have within us the strength, the accountability, the knowledge to carry
the important functions of ICANN forward together.
As the president of ICANN, I want to assure you today that we will do
everything in our power to make sure the ICANN organisation and the ICANN
community are accountable to the public interest now and for the future and
we will do everything in our power to strengthen and keep this
accountability in check so that the world can see us as an organisation
that is committed to serve you, the public. Have a wonderful week at the
IGF."

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254-20-2498789