[kictanet] New OGP Plan open for public consultation

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Oct 22 16:13:34 EAT 2014

Thank you Grace Githaiga for sharing.

It would be great if KICTANET together with ISOC Kenya can compile the
feedback we get from our respective community and present to the Open
Government Secretariat at ICT Authority.

The Proposed Open Government Partnership National Action Plan matrix is a
high level document that has been simplified by ICT Authority and is easy
to read and understand. The matrix is available here:
http://www.icta.go.ke/draft-ogp-action-plan-kenya-2014/

Open Government Partnership or OGP is an international organization
promoting multilateral initiative and seeking strong commitments from
participating government institutions to promote transparency, increase
civic participation, fight corruption, and harness new technologies to make
government more open, effective, and accountable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Government_Partnership
http://www.opengovpartnership.org/countries

The benefits to Kenyans of OGP is Improving Public Services, Increasing
Public Integrity, More Effectively Managing Public Resources

My Comments on the Proposed Open Government Partnership National Action
Plan 2014
1. Kenya Open Data Initiative: This initiatives seem to have been forgotten
or taken the back seat - www.opendata.go.ke. The datasets have not been
upgraded in a long time, examples:
Nairobi County urbanization:
https://www.opendata.go.ke/Counties/County-Urbanization-Nairobi/g4vq-85ds
Local Authority Expenditures by Year: Nairobi:
https://www.opendata.go.ke/Public-Finance/Local-Authority-Expenditures-by-Year-Nairobi/y8gz-wwkw

2. Support avenues of channeling public complaints: This should guarantee
privacy and choice for anonymity to avoid victimization

3. Improved infrastructure: This item has not mentioned anything about ICT
infrastructure, Government datacenter, Expansion of NOFBI, e.t.c.

Warm Reagrds

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lordmwesh
Blog: http://lord.me.ke/

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson

On 21 October 2014 12:45, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <