[kictanet] FW: Call for feedback on two important IG issues...

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:45:19 EAT 2014

From: stephaniep at diplomacy.edu
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:25:51 +0200
Subject: Call for feedback on two important IG issues...
To: igcbp at diplomacy.edu

Dear friends,

We would like to invite you to share your thoughts on two very important and current issues in Internet governance - issues which you may have already thought about and discussed with you colleagues or in the community:

#1 Overcoming
policy silos: Across different countries and regions, stakeholders and
policymakers often approach the same IG issues from various angles and policy
routes. Parallel debates often take place, with the risk of policy incoherence
and even turf battles among the forums discussing the same issues. So, how can
we overcome policy silos or policy segregation?

To arrive at possible solutions, we first
need to understand how the policy process works in different countries by
taking, as example, three areas: (a) data protection and privacy; (b)
cybersecurity and cybercrime; (c) intellectual property rights. With this in
mind, please take part in the survey on
policy silos, and contribute to the discussion forum.

#2. A one-stop shop: IG is a highly complex policy space with hundreds of actors
addressing more than 50 different policy issues in a wide range of forums. So,
to whom do we address our concerns? Which organisations do we get in touch with
if we need information about different IG aspects? Where can we learn about the
latest developments?

A possible solution is the creation of a
one-stop shop, or a ‘clearing house’, with the underlying aim of assisting
players – especially governments and stakeholders from developing countries –
in making better use of existing processes to help shape their own policies on
national levels. The design is key: Should it be a new international Internet
organisation, a global multistakeholder IG clearing house, a distributed
governance system, or...? What functions should it have? Please share your views on discussion
forum.

Your contributions will
be help us (a) identify approaches to overcome policy silos, and (b) make concrete
proposals towards a clearing house. Needless to say, your contributions will be
highly appreciated.

The discussion is hosted by the Geneva Internet Platform, in
preparation for the upcoming international conference, the Geneva Internet Conference.
If you have any questions/comments, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Thanks in advance,Stephanie
--
Stephanie Borg PsailaDiploFoundation
www.diplomacy.edu