[kictanet] Neelie Kroes to ETNO - "Adapt or die."

Gideon gideonrop at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 10:24:32 EAT 2014

Interesting read

http://www.lightreading.com/services/broadband-services/telecom-sector-its-own-worst-enemy-andndash-kroes/d/d-id/711192

(Kroes) attended a conference organized by European Telecommunications
Network Operators' Association (ETNO) , the industry association that
represents the region's major telcos, and witnessed the unveiling of ETNO's
"Agenda for Europe," which calls for an "ambitious reform of current
policy."

Then Kroes took to the stage and fired thunderbolts into the crowd,
starting her speech -- "Adapt or die: What I would do if I ran a telecom
company" -- by noting that "sometimes I think the telecoms sector is its
own worst enemy," before adding that the telecom sector's representatives
in the room were "probably all looking forward to the very near future ...
when you won't have to put up with me anymore."

Cue uncomfortable shuffling in seats...

She told the telcos that they "have to change" and be ready for a world set
to be dominated by the cloud, the Internet of Things (IoT), big data and
5G. "What is the telecoms sector's relationship to that digital future?"
she asked. "Will you be leading us there? Or will you be dragged along
behind, against your will, resisting until the last?"

And while the telcos were still smarting at that virtual dig in the ribs,
Kroes proceeded to tell them "how I'd steer a telco through dynamic digital
developments."

The Kroes speech in full:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-14-647_en.htm

ETNO's Agenda for Europe: https://www.etno.eu/etno-agenda-for-europe