[kictanet] State rolls out Sh225b plan to improve Internet speeds

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:17:08 EAT 2014

How about we engage you on this discussion for a five minute interview on
CCTV AFRICA ON FRIDAY?

9PM? LIVE ON INTERNATIONAL TV?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> Dennis
>
> I agree. Last mile should be left to the private sector. That's where
> value addition comes in. But infrastructure should be on a shared platform.
> I'm convinced of the wisdom of this...
>
> As for the Nakuru WiFi debacle I can only utter these word:-
>
> ITS OUR TIME TO EAT.
>
> Regards
>
> *Ali Hussein*
>
> +254 770 906375 / 0713 601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>
> "I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will
> have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Nov 19, 2014, at 11:40 AM, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ali,
> On the other hand we have the Nakuru WiFi as a scenario of what happens
> when Government tries to get into last mile.
>
> Some proposals such as the wholesale LTE network sound better. As I said,
> incentives play a critical role here, if we can find incentives ranging
> from tax eradication/tax subsidies.
>
> On Wed Nov 19 2014 at 11:25:54 Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
>> Dennis
>>
>> With all due respect and as an ardent private sector supporter I don't
>> think leaving ICT infrastructure entirely in the hands of ISPs is the right
>> strategy. This calls for a solid Multi-Stakeholder (yes...that word
>> again..) :) engagement roadmap. It's the only way we will have ubiquitous
>> and inexpensive connectivity across the region.
>>
>> Imagine if we had left the implementation of the undersea cable to telcos
>> alone without government involvement. Let's give credit where its due.
>> Despite pitfalls and hurdles and sometimes acrimonious relationships, the
>> Multi-Stakeholder (although truth be told in this case I think it happened
>> serendipitously as opposed to planned) engagement between the government
>> and the private players is the reason for our relative success story in the
>> internet space. And this should be celebrated.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> *Ali Hussein*
>>
>> +254 770 906375 / 0713 601113
>>
>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>
>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>
>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>>
>> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>>
>> "I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will
>> have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Nov 19, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Dennis Kioko via kictanet <
>>
>> I would have preferred GoK go the other way and instead provide services
>> as a means of driving internet demand and bringing prices down eg
>> digitising hospitals, schools and other services.
>>
>> Infrastructure and internet provision should be left to ISPs. To drive
> [...]

*Warm Regards,  PETER WAKABA                  AFRICA BUSINESS EDITOR, CCTV
AFRICA             Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it
must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a
lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will
starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion.
When the sun comes up, you better start running.- In "The World is Flat" by
Thomas L. Friedman.*