[kictanet] CCK & ISPs to Block of Websites?

Fiona Asonga tespok at tespok.co.ke
Fri May 9 10:02:10 EAT 2014

Hallo Listers,

TESPOK the umbrella body for service providers that runs the KIXP has taken time to follow up on the posts in the preceding emails.

TESPOK as the industry body for service providers has been running a Computer Security Incident Response Team since 2009. We have realtime user access to for service providers to view auto-generated reports of their network status. CCK has been working with TESPOK since 2011 to ensure network integrity for the safety of Internet users. The working arrangements places TESPOK as the face of the ISPs in as far as CCK and cyber security is concerned. We are unable to confirm any requests to block websites or blogs, however ISPs have been requested by both TESPOK and CCK to have dedicated Network Security staff.

It is my view that the request to engage may have been mis-understood or mis-communicated. KIXP is dependent on content and it would be counter productive for TESPOK to support blocking of websites thus reducing content access at the KIXP.

In the event that we note changes to our mode of engagement with CCK in a manner to negatively impact on the end users' experience we shall not hesitate to speak up. For more details on our cyber security program kindly visit www.cyberusalama.co.ke or www.usalama.co.ke

kind regards

Fiona Asonga
Chief Executive Officer
Telecommunications Service Providers Association of Kenya/ Kenya Internet Exchange Point
Member Strategic Committee of the Africa Computer Emergency Response Team

NRO Number Council http://www.nro.net/about/number-council.html

ASO Address Council http://aso.icann.org/ac/

14 th Floor, Bruce House
Standard Street

Tel: +254 20 2245 036
Cell: +254 721 713 504

Website: www.tespok.or.ke

“Industry voice in Telecommunications, Providing Policy and Direction
within the Industry and Government”